Shark Bay Research Trust
Dedicated to conducting ground-breaking research on the great white sharks and changing the public perception of this incredibly misunderstood species.
Who Are We?
The Shark Bay Research Trust is dedicated to conducting groundbreaking research on great white sharks and changing the public perception of this incredibly misunderstood species.
Located in Gansbaai – the white shark capital of the world – and working with Sharklady Adventures, we are in an ideal position to achieve both of these goals.
We will encourage public participation in scientific research to raise awareness about not only the great white shark, but of all sharks, and to encourage people to become more invested in their conservation.
We want to give many researchers who are in the early stages of their careers an opportunity to gain experience not only in the data collection and analysis, but also in conveying that information to the general public.
Our goals as a non-profit organisation are to:
- To conduct groundbreaking research on the white sharks seen in Gansbaai, South Africa.
- To change the negative perception of sharks being mindless killers to one where they are viewed as intelligent apex predators necessary for a healthy ecosystem.
- To increase the public awareness of the plight that sharks around the world are currently facing.
- To engage the public in helping with scientific research.
- To give young researchers valuable experience in the field and in expressing scientific ideas and concepts to the general public.